LeapStart from LeapFrog
LeapStart has given my children the ability to be active without staring at a tablet or computer screen all afternoon. It’s been quite a blessing around the house in more ways than I can explain to you. The book is easy to carry around and the books that are available give more activities to keep my children entertained. It is something that has been pretty great in distracting my children but saving their eyes from staring at a tablet.
Leap Start for children.
My girls are around the age recommendations for the Leap Start. My oldest is five, but she has enjoyed this much longer than my one year old does. It’s easy for both of them to use the attached stylus while interacting with the book that was provided with the Leap Start. The small sample book is perfect to teach your child how to properly use the Leap Start, and it’s especially great for keeping them entertained for little bits at a time.
Pre-school to 1st grade.
There are several books you can purchase to go along with the Leap Start. We received three additional books in order to really give a thorough review to you guys. I’m excited to introduce them as my children have been playing with all three for a few days now. They’re entertaining, and even I have found them fun to play with! The books are easily installed into the Leap Start platform that you install from your computer (it comes with a USB cord). More about this in a second.
- Daily Routines (with Health & Wellness) – Level 1: Preschool
- This is for ages 2-4. My children love this because of the fun interactive pages that teach fun in a school setting, the four seasons in a year, eating, playing, going to the bathroom, taking a nap in the classroom and so much more.
- Why do we love it so much? My oldest is getting ready to go to Kindergarten for the first time. This has mostly things that she has already learned but she loves the mazes and the growing of plants, and getting things correct each time she participates.
- First Day Of School (with Critical Thinking) – Level 2: Pre-Kindergarten
- This is for ages 3-5. This book is adorable because of the lessons in Kindergarten it teaches. My oldest loves to interact with the colorful characters, and learn all about the classroom that she is about to go into!
- Perfect for children getting ready to go into Kindergarten, and learning the next step up from Pre-K. It even has a few games that teach sorting, sharing, and other essentials for your child.
- Amazing Animals (with Conservation) – Level 3: Kindergarten
- This is for ages 4-6. A book that every child should have when they get their Leap Start interactive platform. I think every child should learn some type of conservation in their lifetime!
- My daughters love this because of the animals they get to interact with. They’ve learned all about animals and their defenses, animals that can camouflage themselves, the Coral Reef and so much more. It’s definitely fun for any child to learn more about animals in the wild.
Easy to get started.
When you first get the Leap Start you will want to use the USB cord and plug it into your computer. Then you will go to the website specified in your installation booklet that arrived with the Leap Start. After installing the program on your computer, it will update the Leap Start. Each time you get a book you will want to plug this in, find the book on the program you previously installed, and install it onto your book. There is plenty of space for several books. If you need to remove a book from the Leap Start, you can! It’s easy to uninstall it in the program.
The books really talk!
The platform that holds the books interacts with your child as they guide the stylus through each page. It tells them when they are wrong, or right, and even helps them figure out the correct answer. It has noises, and everything else that may come with a tablet, just no moving pictures. My daughter loves to play with this and my youngest definitely loves to move the stylus around just to hear it make sounds.
There are tons of other things out there that can entertain your child. However, if you’re looking for something that is not a tablet, or something that will get lost because of small pieces, this is highly recommended. I absolutely love this book for my daughters. They have taken it wherever we travel in the car, and have even taken it into the store to play while I’ve shopped.